It's been nearly 13 years since the first video was uploaded to YouTube, and since then, the platform has amassed more than a billion users. From social feeds to online streaming networks, video content is everywhere — and yet audiences' appetites only seem to grow. Massive global brands and small businesses alike are looking for ways to capitalize on online video trends.
There's just one problem: Since online video trends are constantly changing and growing in complexity, knowing where to invest your marketing budget and how to maximize your success can be challenging — especially for smaller companies with fewer resources.
To help, we took a look at the future of video marketing and compiled a few tips on how you can keep up.
Top Online Video Trends for 2018
Marketers who use video typically grow revenue 49 percent faster than those who don't, according to research by Vidyard and Aberdeen. If you're looking to grow the ROI of your social and over-the-top (OTT) video marketing efforts in 2018 and beyond, you'll want to expand your expertise in the following areas:
- Programmatic ads — Generally in the form of pre-roll or display ads, programmatic video ads use automated media buying to help brands target their content to exactly the audience they're seeking, thereby eliminating wasted ad funds.
- Native ads — These ads typically blend in with the organic content on the platform where they're hosted, which can improve view rates. Rather than being purely promotional, the most successful native ads offer audiences relevant and helpful information.
- Personalization — No matter where your ads are being delivered, you'll need to make sure you're segmenting your audience and tailoring messages specific to each segment. (Here's more on the art of personalization.)
How Marketers Can Keep Up
Like any digital trend, social and OTT video marketing is evolving at a rapid rate. Here's what you can do to stay ahead of your competitors and dominate the video space:
- Keep an eye on industry leaders. Next time you see a great video ad, take note. Even if you don't have a budget the size of Nike or Johnson & Johnson, you can use their ideas as inspiration for your own campaigns.
- Use storytelling in your video strategy. Not only are stories enjoyable, they're also memorable. Use storytelling to keep your brand top-of-mind.
- Work with trusted experts. Seek out digital media partners who can make sure you're getting the right message in front of the right audience at the right time.
If the explosion in popularity of video posts on social networks and the success of advertising on OTT devices have taught us anything, it's that video is here to stay. By staying educated on the latest online video trends and tactics, you can maximize the potential of your video marketing efforts and keep your audience captivated on nearly every online platform.